Colchicum ‘The Giant’ produces cups of violet pink flowers with a white star-shaped centre.
These flowers bloom before the leaves in autumn. This is the perfect plant for naturalising in open spaces such as unmown lawns or deliberate wildflower areas, but can also grow happily at the front of a border to create splashes of colour at lower levels, or in pots and containers. Add to autumn patios for a rush of colour before the winter.
A member of the RHS Plants for Pollinators collection, this variety is also perfect for attracting bees and other large pollinators into the garden.
Be sure to leave any leaves once the flowers have died back – these need to die down naturally to help replenish the bulb.
This bulb is best planted 8cm deep and around 15cm apart, in full sun or partial shade and will grow in a wide range of soils provided there is good drainage.
- A member of the RHS Plants for Pollinators collection
- Bulb count per pack: 1 bulb
- Flower colour: White, Purple, Pink
- Flowering months: September, October, November
- Flowering height: 15cm/6″
- Hardiness: Hardy in most places throughout the UK (-15 to -10)
- When to plant: July to October
- Planting depth: 8cm/3″
- Bulb spacing: 8cm/3″
- Soil type: Moist but well drained
- Sunlight: Full sun
- Special Features: Pollinator friendly, Ideal for pots