Clematis ‘Sunset’ is a compact deciduous climbing Clematis with bright red-purple-pink flowers. It uses twining leaf stalks to climb supporting structures and is an early bloomer, bearing large star shaped flowers at the start of the summer and often repeats with second flowers until September.
This Clematis enjoys any aspect and has a compact habit, so it is suitable for smaller gardens and large pots. This Clematis will take up to five years to achieve full height and spread and is also suitable for walls, trellis and smaller support frames.
Plant the Clematis deep into fertile ground or a container with good compost, to avoid disease problems such as wilt and root rot.
When planting in soil, we recommend a depth of twice the height of the pot provided to ground level and always plant at an angle and towards the supporting structure, as well providing support wires or framework to the wall or structure you intend to grow it against.
Remember to mulch in late winter and before new growth begins in early spring, we recommend cutting back the previous year’s stems to buds (approximately 8 inches /20cm above soil level).
We hope you enjoy this pretty Clematis and more Clematis choices are available in our Climbers range.
- 3 litre potted Clematis ‘Sunset’
- Bright red-purple-pink star shaped flowers
- Compact climber
- Height: 8.2ft (2.5m)
- Spread: 3.2ft (1m)
- Suitable for outdoor walls, borders, trellis frames & large pots
- Any aspect – full & partial sunlight (North, South, East or West facing)
- Plant in exposed or sheltered areas
- Plant deep and angle towards supporting structure
- Prone to wilt & powdery mildew, slugs, snails, aphids & caterpillars
- Prefers moist, well-drained soil
- Soil pH: Acid, Alkaline, Neutral
- Tolerates most soil types
- Measurements are approximate