Young Lycidas® (Ausvibrant) is an impressive medium sized English shrub rose bred by David Austin® in a 6 litre pot. Named after the 17th Century poem by John Milton to mark the 400th anniversary of the birth of the poet.
It has a compact and bushy habit. Blooms are deeply cupped in shades of deep pink. The scent of this rose is a delicious strong mix of tea and old rose with hints of cedar wood.
Ideal for a pot or container, this rose will also look beautiful in a rose border or combined with other plants in mixed borders. If planting in a border, we recommend planting in groups of the same variety for an impressive display, year after year. This beautiful English shrub rose is suitable for all soil types, prefers full sun or partial shade and makes a great rose for cutting too.
Use David Austin® Mycorrhizal Fungi to help establish roots and encourage good plant health. We also recommend regular feeding, once in late March/early April and again in July with David Austin® Rose Food. Pruning should be done at the start of the year in January or February and after the first summer of flowers, you can cut back all stems to 12″-18″ (30-45cm) from the ground. In the next two years simply prune back to half its height and after five years only cut back by a third.
Whilst this rose is in flower, regular deadheading will help to encourage new bud growth, so you can enjoy beautiful fragrant blooms.
- Medium English Shrub Rose bred by David Austin® (2008)
- 6 litre pot
- Flowers from June until September (repeats)
- Large & deeply cupped deep pink blooms
- Strong Tea & Old Rose scent
- Position in a sheltered location in full sun or partial shade (East, South or West facing)
- Suitable for all soil types
- Height: 4ft (122cm) & Spread: 4t (122cm)
- Suitable for cutting, borders, pots & containers
- Measurements are approximate
- 1st prize award for fragrance at the 2009 Barcelona Trials
- Images courtesy of David Austin® Roses