Skimmia japonica also known as Japanese skimmia from the Gold Series is a flowering evergreen shrub.
This acid-loving plant is ideal for garden beds and borders or pots and should be planted in ericaceous soil.
This shrub will also benefit from using Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron Continuous Release Plant Food or Sequestered Iron.
Skimmia japonica has many branches with deep green leaves and in spring it will produce many panicles of small white (or slightly yellow) flowers. Female plants bear small scented flowers and will go on to form shiny red berries in autumn. And you’ll be able to tell if the plant is male, because the flowerheads are noticeably larger (up to 8cm in length) and will not bear berries.
We think Japenese skimmia looks great planted with heathers or winter pansies, which grow well in ericaceous soil too.
- Collection: Gold Series
- Characteristics: Flowering evergreen shrub
- Flowering period: Spring (white/yellow flowers). Females produce red berries in autumn.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade
- Soil type: Moist & well-drained ericaceous soil
- Pot size: 24cm
- Pot height: 50cm
- Height & spread up to: 2.5m & 1.5m