Known for its vibrant colour, the Salvia ‘Royal Bumble’, also known as sage ‘Royal Bumble’, is an aromatic evergreen with profusions of large, brilliant red flowers.
Flowering from early summer until frost, these blooms are borne on purple, upright stems, standing out against their foliage of aromatic, dark green, glossy leaves.
These captivating bright flowers are perfect among beds and borders in an informal garden and attract scores of butterflies, hummingbirds and beneficial insects.
Growing to an eventual height and spread of approximately 90cm it is hardy throughout most of the UK, down to temperatures of around -5 degrees. Plant in a position of full or partial sun, into moist but well drained, neutral, acidic or alkaline soil. Watch for slugs, snails, rosemary beetle or leafhoppers and deadhead regularly to prolong flowering.
- Salvia ‘Royal Bumble’ in a 2 litre pot
- Recipient of the Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit
- Flower colour: Red
- Foliage colour: Green
- Stem colour: Purple
- Position: Full sun
- Aspect: West facing or South facing
- Soil moisture: Moist but well drained
- Soil pH: Acidic, Alkaline or Neutral
- Hardiness: Hardy through most of the UK down to around -5 degrees
- Flowering period: July to October
- Plant height: 90cm
- Plant width: 90cm