Phyllostachys nigra is more commonly known as black bamboo.
This large, evergreen shrub has arching green canes that turn black and dark brown with maturity. It bears long and narrow lanceolate leaves.
Use this bamboo to add structure and privacy to any garden and create a natural boundary hedge.
We recommend using a bamboo control system if planting into the garden. This will control growth and avoid runners popping up unexpectedly.
- Black Bamboo is an attractive evergreen
- With time canes develop to a striking black/dark brown
- Suitable for decorative or screening use all year round
- Position in full sun/part shade
- Prefers fertile & well drained soil
- Fully hardy running bamboo (can spread)
- Over 10 years, this bamboo can grow to a height & spread of 2.5m x 2.5m (8ft x 8ft)
- Measurements are approximate
- This bamboo can spread – ideal for an area requiring coverage