Hebe ‘Marilyn Monroe’ is an upright evergreen shrub that produces captivating leaves that emerge a magnificent shade of pink, gradually changing to a deep green with creamy-white margins before finally turning a pale yellow, creating an exciting year round display. It will also produce racemes of dark pink or magenta pink flowers that appear from late spring through to summer.
Growing to a height and spread of approximately 1m, this shrub is perfect for adding glamour and structure to Mediterranean style gardens or mixed shrub borders and will excel in a large patio pot or container.
Look for a position of full sun or partial shade and plant into moist but well drained soil. Water well after planting and during dry spells through the first growing season. Once established they are fairly drought resistant and will only need watering in very dry conditions. Watch for aphids, leaf spot or downy mildew. Remove spent flowers after flowering to encourage a fresh flush of flowers and feed in spring and summer with a high potash fertiliser.
- Hebe ‘Marilyn Monroe’ in a 2 litre pot
- Flower colour: Pink
- Foliage colour: Pink, Cream, Green, Yellow
- Position: Full sun, Partial shade
- Aspect: East-facing, South-facing or West-facing
- Soil moisture: Moist but well drained
- Soil pH: Alkaline, Neutral
- Hardiness: Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK
- Flowering period: July to September
- Plant height: up to 1m
- Plant width: up to 1m