The Ancient Mariner® (Ausoutcry) is a medium English shrub rose bred by David Austin® in a 6 litre pot. Named after Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s poem ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner’ published in 1798.
It has a bushy upright habit and produces very large, mid pink blooms which pale towards the edges, have many petals and has a light to medium to strong myrrh fragrance.
This rose will repeat flower throughout the season and is beautiful in a rose border or combined with other plants in mixed borders. We think it looks lovely in a large pot too. If planting in a border, we recommend planting in groups of the same variety for an impressive display, year after year. This beautiful English shrub rose is suitable for all soil types, prefers full sun or partial shade.
Use David Austin® Mycorrhizal Fungi to help establish roots and encourage good plant health. We also recommend regular feeding, once in late March/early April and again in July with David Austin® Rose Food. Pruning should be done at the start of the year in January or February and after the first summer of flowers, you can cut back all stems to 12″- 18″ (30-45cm) from the ground. In the next 2 years simply prune back to half its height and after five years, you’ll only need to cut back by a third.
Whilst this rose is in flower, we suggest regular deadheading to encourage new bud growth, so you can enjoy beautiful fragrant blooms.
- Medium English Shrub Rose bred by David Austin® (2015)
- 6 litre pot
- Very large mid pink blooms with many petals
- Flowers from June until September (repeat)
- Medium to strong myrrh scent
- Position in a sheltered location in full sun or partial shade (North, East, South, West facing)
- Suitable for all soil types
- Height: 4ft (125cm) & Spread: 4ft (125cm)
- Suitable for mixed borders, hedges, pots & containers
- Measurements are approximate
- Images courtesy of David Austin® Roses