Crocus tommasinianus ‘Ruby Giant’ bulbs will grow delightful, deep purple flowers, with an orange stigma, in February and March and narrow, mid-green leaves.
Part of the RHS Plants for Pollinators collection, these flowers are attractive to pollinators and are sure to bring bees and other large pollinators to the garden, growing to a height of approximately 8cm.
Larger than most tommasinianus varieties, this fragrant bulb is effective at naturalising in unmown grass, but can also happily be planted in and around trees, in window boxes with plenty of natural light, or in a container on a sun-trapped patio.
Plant these ‘Ruby Giant’ bulbs approximately 5cm deep and 5cm apart. Crocuses will grow in a wide range of soils provided there is good drainage. They like sunshine but the flowers will last longer in partial shade. To avoid interference by mice or squirrels, lay chicken wire on top of the bulbs before laying down top soil.
- A member of the RHS Plants for Pollinators collection
- Bulb count per pack: 15 bulbs
- Flower colour: Purple, Blue
- Flowering months: February, March
- Flowering height: 8cm/3″
- Hardiness: Fully hardy
- When to plant: July to October
- Planting depth: 5cm/2″
- Bulb spacing: 5cm/2″
- Soil type: Moist but well drained
- Sunlight: Full sun
- Special Features: Pollinator friendly, Ideal for pots, Naturalising