Clematis viticella ‘Night Veil’ is a compact deciduous climber that flowers from the beginning of summer until the start of autumn and bears small, semi-nodding, purple-red flowers.
This versatile Clematis uses twining leaf stalks to climb support structures, is happy facing any aspect and enjoys either full sunlight or partial shade.
It will take up to five years to achieve full height and spread. This climber is a great choice for a container and can be grown against structures such as pergolas, trellis frames or walls.
Plant the Clematis deep into fertile ground or a container with good compost, to avoid disease problems such as wilt and root rot. If planting in a container, please ensure it is at least 1.5ft (45cm) deep and wide.
When planting in the ground, we recommend a depth of twice the height of the pot provided to ground level and always plant at an angle and towards the supporting structure, as well providing support wires or framework to the wall or structure you intend to grow it against.
Remember to mulch in late winter and before new growth begins in early spring, we recommend cutting back the previous year’s stems to buds (approximately 8 inches /20cm above soil level).
Please browse our Climbers range for more Clematis inspiration.
- 3 litre potted Clematis viticella ‘Night Veil’
- Small, semi-nodding, purple-red flowers
- Compact climber
- Height up to: 8.2ft (2.5m)
- Spread up to: 4.9ft (1.5m)
- Suitable for containers, borders, walls, courtyard gardens, trellis or frames
- Full or partial sunlight (North, South, East or West facing)
- Plant in exposed or sheltered areas
- Plant deep and angle towards supporting structure
- Prone to wilt, powdery mildew, slugs, snails, aphids & caterpillars
- Prefers moist, well-drained soil
- Soil pH: Alkaline, Neutral
- Measurements are approximate