Clematis ‘Ernest Markham’ is a deciduous climber that uses twining leaf stalks to climb supporting structures and can grow quite large. A late bloomer, this Clematis tends to flower from August October and it produces velvety crimson- red star-shaped flowers.
This Clematis prefers full sunlight positions and can take up to 5 years to achieve full height and spread. It is great for growing against walls, trellis and anything that can support it’s spread and height.
Plant the Clematis deep into fertile ground to avoid disease problems such as wilt and root rot.
When planting in soil, we recommend a depth of twice the height of the pot provided to ground level and always plant at an angle and towards the supporting structure, as well providing support wires or framework to the wall or structure you intend to grow it against.
Remember to mulch in late winter and before new growth begins in early spring, we recommend cutting back the previous year’s stems to buds (approximately 8 inches /20cm above soil level).
We hope you enjoy this pretty Clematis and more choices are available in our Climbers range.
- 3 litre potted Clematis ‘Ernest Markham’
- Crimson- red star-shaped flowers
- Large climber
- Height up to: 13ft (4m)
- Spread up to: 3.2ft (1m)
- Suitable for outdoor walls, courtyards and any large supporting frames
- Full sunlight (South or West facing)
- Plant in exposed or sheltered areas
- Plant deep and angle towards supporting structure
- Prone to wilt & powdery mildew, slugs, snails, aphids & caterpillars
- Prefers moist, well-drained soil
- Soil pH: Alkaline, Neutral
- Tolerates most soil types
- Measurements are approximate