Clematis ‘Chelsea’ is an extremely compact climber and with the right conditions it will flower all the way through from May until October. With pretty green leaves, this floriferous climber bears bright white flowers with hints of pale violet-blue.
This climber uses twining leaf stalks to climb a supporting structure and it prefers full sunlight or partial shade and will cope with any sheltered aspect. It can take up to five years to achieve full height and spread and will do better with a suitable frame to grow against.
It’s a fantastic choice for a container to create interest on your patio or your garden and it is great for attracting insects like bees. If planting in a container, please ensure it is at least 1.5ft (45cm) deep and wide.
Plant the Clematis deep into fertile ground or a container with good compost, to avoid disease problems such as wilt and root rot.
When planting in the ground, we recommend a depth of twice the height of the pot provided to ground level and always plant at an angle and towards the supporting structure, as well providing support wires or framework to the wall or structure you intend to grow it against.
Remember to mulch in late winter and before new growth begins in early spring, we recommend cutting back the previous year’s stems to buds (approximately 8 inches /20cm above soil level).
Please browse our Climbers range for more Clematis inspiration.
- 3 litre potted Clematis ‘Chelsea’
- Bright white flowers with hints of pale violet-blue.
- Small compact climber
- Height up to: 3.2ft (1m)
- Spread up to: 3.2ft (1m)
- Suitable for containers, small walls, trellis or frames
- Full and partial sunlight (South, East, West or North facing)
- Plant in sheltered areas
- Plant deep and angle towards supporting structure
- Prone to wilt, powdery mildew, slugs, snails, aphids & caterpillars
- Prefers moist, well-drained soil
- Soil pH: Neutral, Alkaline, Acid
- Tolerates most soil types
- Measurements are approximate