Clematis ‘Cassis’ is a more compact semi-evergreen, perennial climber which bears striking rosette-shaped double flowers which appear dark purple, but could be described as dark purple veined with a darker central bar over cream.
An early summer bloomer, this attractive climber will continue to flower until autumn and uses twining leaf stalks to climb supporting structures. It prefers full sunlight or partial shade and will take up to five years to achieve full height and spread. It can be grown in containers, against walls, trellis and supports.
To avoid disease problems such as wilt and root rot, plant the Clematis deep into fertile ground.
When planting in the ground, we recommend a depth of twice the height of the pot provided to ground level and always plant at an angle and towards the supporting structure, as well providing support wires or framework to the wall or structure you intend to grow it against.
Remember to mulch in late winter and before new growth begins in early spring, we recommend cutting back the previous year’s stems to buds (approximately 8 inches /20cm above soil level).
Please browse our Climbers range for more Clematis inspiration.
- 3 litre potted Clematis ‘Cassis’
- Rosette-shaped double dark purple flowers, with hints of cream
- Compact climber
- Height up to: 4.9ft (1.5m)
- Spread up to: 4.9ft (1.5m)
- Suitable for containers, walls, trellis or frames
- Full and partial sunlight (South, East or West facing)
- Plant in exposed or sheltered areas
- Plant deep and angle towards supporting structure
- Prone to wilt, powdery mildew, slugs, snails, aphids & caterpillars
- Prefers moist, well-drained soil
- Soil pH: Alkaline, Neutral, Acid
- Tolerates most soil types
- Measurements are approximate